I'm a Lecturer in the Faculty of Science at HKU with a background in Applied Mathematics (PhD, Waterloo). I'm currently pursuing a PhD in Education at HKU in formative testing and feedback in secondary and tertiary mathematics. Research interests include
- mathematics and science education in secondary and tertiary education,
- students' self-efficacy and interest in science and mathematics,
- learning experiences online and in the classroom, and
- postgraduate teaching assistant training.
- Feeding Formative Feedback Forward in Mathematics (Secondary schools and Higher Education): Providing regular quizzes to students on mobile phones, and supporting students in making goals, self-efficacy in mathematics courses, and mathematics interest development.
- Getting Interested: Developing and managing an online tactile tool for students to report their interest
Recently Completed Projects
- Motivating Student Interest: Enhancing the Learning Experience in the Common Core Curriculum: Supporting students in interest development and teachers in obtaining feedback on teaching in general education courses in Science using short 30-sec mobile phone surveys.
Contact: +852 5225 1872
Dr. SHUM, Alexander Sheung Yun
I am full-stack web developer based in HK, originally from Indonesia.
Currently working for Centre for the Enhancement of Teaching and Learning in HKU. Working on our "Getting Interested" WebApp.